Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
DorobekInsider: OPM’s Berry reorganizes giving the CIO a more prominent role
Thursday - 9/10/2009, 8:06pm EDT
A memo from OPM Director John Berry has started to leak out that seems to give the OPM CIO greater visibility and authority within the agency — and a direct report to the OPM director himself.
Read the memo for yourself:
From: Director Berry
To: ALL OPM
Sent: Wed Sep 09 17:00:46 2009
Subject: Organizational Realignment
I am excited to be here and to be charting a new direction for OPM with your help. As you know, we are finalizing our strategic plan. We now need to begin putting in place the organization we need to carry out this plan.
I strongly believe that OPM’s Chief Information Officer (CIO) will play a pivotal role in meeting the ambitious goals and objectives outlined in the plan. Accordingly, the CIO’s role at OPM needs to change. The CIO needs to report directly to me and have broad responsibilities for our IT initiatives and operations. I have spoken to several well qualified candidates and hope to have someone on board shortly.
To prepare for the arrival of the new CIO, I have asked our current CIO, Janet Barnes, to take on a new position as the Deputy to Ron Flom, Associate Director for the Management Services Division. I have also asked Matt Perry, the project manager for EHRI and RSM, to act as our CIO until the new CIO arrives. These changes will be effective September 13.
These are the first of several changes you will see over the coming weeks as we attempt to align functions and executive leadership with our new strategic plan. Please continue to give Janet and Matt your full support as they assume their new responsibilities.