Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 4-7 p.m.
In Depth with Francis Rose features daily interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 4 to 7 p.m. or download his archived interviews below.
In Depth Show Blog - July 12, 2013
Friday - 7/12/2013, 8:00pm EDT
Senior Vice President for the Global Public Sector
The perennial debate over how much the federal government should pay to compensate the executives of government contractors is heating up again. The Obama administration has proposed — via DoD's annual package of legislative proposals — that reimbusements be capped at the level of the President's salary: $400,000 dollars, not including the perks of the office. Right now, executive salaries are reimbursed by the government to the tune of about $760,000 dollars. Trey Hodgkins, senior vice president of the Global Public Sector at TechAmerica, joins In Depth with more on the pay debate.
Senior Benefits Director
National Institute of Transition Planning
Just thinking about your retirement itself can be a confusing process. Tammy Flanagan, the senior benefits director at the National Institute of Transition Planning, joins In Depth with a simple checklist any mid-career federal employee can use to plan for retirement.
Midcareer Checklist (related link)
Director of the Cyber Statecraft Initiative
The Defense Department had their first face-to-face meeting with Chinese officials specifically to try and lay a groundwork for future cyber relations. The Pentagon says Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel discussed the issue further today when he met with China's State Councilor Yang Jiechi on the U.S.-China military relationship. Jason Healey, director of the Cyber Statecraft Initiative, joins In Depth to discuss the developments.
Chief of Staff
DoD's Undersecretary for Personnel and Readiness
This week, the Defense Department began mandatory, unpaid furloughs for about 85 percent of its civilian workforce — forcing about 650,000 employees to take one day per week off without pay. As for the other 15 percent, we get a lot of questions here at Federal News Radio about who's exempt from furlough and why. We posed a few of those questions to Pat Tamburrino, the chief of staff to DoD's undersecretary for personnel and readiness. He tells In Depth in general, the Pentagon tried to impose the furloughs as consistently as possible.
House Homeland Security Committee
Today, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announced she's leaving office. She's expected to become the president of the University of California system later this year, assuming the board of regents there approves her selection. She's served in the top job at the government's third largest department since 2009. Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), who's overseen DHS during that time as the ranking member of the House Homeland Security Committee talked with In Depth about what he thinks she accomplished during her tenure and what the President should be looking for in the next secretary.
George Lund Fellow
With a threats of a tightening budget, the Defense Department is looking for more ways to get the biggest bang for its buck. DoD released a new report on the how major defense acquisition programs (MDAP) are performing. The report looks at the cost of defense acquisitions and how they perform over time. Steven Grundman, George Lund Fellow on emerging defense challenges at the Atlantic Council, joins In Depth to discuss the DoD acquisition budget.
- Mike Causey: Feds licking their financial wounds
- OPM hopes cyber-job database will help agencies fill workforce gaps
- Katherine Archuleta to face senators in confirmation hearing next week
- White House extends policy speeding payment to small businesses
- DHS to Expand Operation Caribbean Resilience in Puerto Rico
- Hacker convention tells feds to stay away
- Barrow Introduces Legislation to Eliminate DoD Furloughs
- U.S., Firms Draw a Bead on Chinese Cyberspies