Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
AFGE vice president Bowman dies
Wednesday - 1/16/2013, 6:27pm EST
"It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to a union brother, effective leader and dear friend," AFGE National President J. David Cox said in a statement. "Our thoughts are with his wife, Gwendlyn, and the rest of his family."
Bowman was serving his third term as national vice president of the 14th district, which encompasses Washington, D.C., and surrounding areas in Maryland and Virginia.
Bowman began his AFGE career nearly 40 years ago as president of a local unit at the Smithsonian Institution. At the time, employees there were not covered by federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission regulations and other labor relations laws, according to an AFGE release. Bowman worked to merge the local with another unit and to negotiate a contract that fully covered employees.
Bowman also previously served as president of AFGE's National Capital Area Council 1 and served on the board of the Maryland State and District of Columbia AFL-CIO among many other appointments.
AFGE said it would provide details on a memorial service when they became known.