Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Delivering the Digital Government Mission
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 4-7 p.m.
In Depth with Francis Rose features daily interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 4 to 7 p.m. or download his archived interviews below.
Most TSP funds had negative returns in May
Tuesday - 5/31/2011, 6:49pm EDT
This story has been updated with returns for the entire month of May. Previously, returns for May 31 were not immediately available.
By Jolie Lee
Federal News Radio
All Thrift Savings Plan funds except for the F and G Funds had negative returns for the month.
"It has been a difficult month for the markets, especially for the stock market, and certainly until today, we were running behind, rivaling the negative returns from last August," said Tom Trabucco, director of external affairs for the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, which manages your TSP.
However, market returns today had "quite a surge" and final TSP returns for May, to be released Wednesday, will likely improve.
According to the TSP website, the F Fund matches the performance of the Barclays Capital U.S. Aggregate Bond Index, a broad index representing the U.S. bond market.
"Because the F Fund returns move up and down with the returns in the bond market, your F Fund investment is subject to market risk. For example, when interest rates rise, bond prices (and thus, the returns of the index and the F Fund) fall. Conversely, in an environment of falling interest rates, bond prices, as well as the index and F Fund returns, rise," according to the website.
That F Fund rule applied in May.
"Interest rates have been declining for much of past month, which is why you have a positive return in the F Fund," Trabucco said.
Thrift Savings Plan May 2011 returns
|Fund||G Fund||F Fund||C Fund||S Fund||I Fund|
|L Funds||L Income||L 2020||L 2030||L 2040||L 2050|