Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 4-7 p.m.
In Depth with Francis Rose features daily interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 4 to 7 p.m. or download his archived interviews on our daily show blogs.
Thrift Savings Plan March returns
Monday - 4/11/2011, 5:07pm EDT
Federal News Radio
Threats of a government shutdown had little effect on returns for last month's Thrift Savings Plan, said Tom Trabucco, director of External Affairs at the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board.
"There really was not a pop at all," Trabucco said of any transfers.
Even if there was a shutdown, the TSP would have been "open for business," he added.
The TSP does not rely on congressional appropriations, so the funds are insulated from the budget process, Trabucco said.
However, the debt limit does affect your TSP. If the government reaches the debt limit without raising the limit - what's called a debt limit suspension period - the Treasury Department cannot issue new G Fund securities. Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner has said the country will reach the $14.3 trillion debt limit in mid-May.
However, even in this suspension period, TSP investors don't have to worry. Congress passed legislation in 1987 that ensured the government would repay any investments into the G Fund when a debt limit suspension period is over.
Trabucco said the TSP would "continue to operate as normal even in a debt limit hiatus."
Thrift Savings Plan March 2011 returns
|Fund||G Fund||F Fund||C Fund||S Fund||I Fund|
|L Funds||L Income||L 2020||L 2030||L 2040||L 2050|