Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 4-7 p.m.
In Depth with Francis Rose features daily interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 4 to 7 p.m. or download his archived interviews below.
Davies: Mobile computing revolution just beginning
Thursday - 1/13/2011, 7:57pm EST
Ted Davies, President of Federal Systems for Unisys, sees the revolution when he works with his Federal customers. "It's something that every agency has - a big portion of its workforce not sitting in buildings right now," Ted told me on Industry Chatter today. "Think about the world ten or fifteen years ago, before cell phones were as predominant as they are today. Trying to connect with a mobile workforce was difficult. They had to go to a pay phone to check in. [Now] cellphones are ubiquitous, and they can connect immediately via the cellphone. Now you're in a world where they can check their emails from anywhere in the world."
Having all those people carrying around their network entry points is still making tech people nervous, and Ted can understand why. "I don't think that every security vulnerability has been addressed yet, but there's a lot of progress being made, and I think over the next year or so, you're going to see wider-spread adoption of these devices."
We talked about the solutions to make mobile computing safe; the evolution of understanding about cloud computing; and OMB's 25-point plan and how to make it work for your agency.