Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 4-7 p.m.
In Depth with Francis Rose features daily interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 4 to 7 p.m. or download his archived interviews on our daily show blogs.
DHS Security Operations Center: watching the agency's networks
Monday - 10/4/2010, 7:46pm EDT
Less well-known is the internal operation that protects DHS's own networks. Alma Cole heads that effort, known as the Security Operations Center (SOC).
"We are the DHS internal-facing, continuous-monitoring, incident-response team," Alma told me today. "Customs and Border Protection...is the steward for the DHS OneNet network, as well as DHS's two Trusted Internet Connections. We are responsible for monitoring the security of both the wide-area network for DHS, as well as all of the Internet gateways."
Alma and I talked about the efforts to keep DHS networks - and those of the component agencies - safe from intrusion and compromise, and the technology needed to do the job. We also talked about the workforce he leads, and how to build the pool of qualified cyber pros, both now and in the future.