Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 4-7 p.m.
In Depth with Francis Rose features daily interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 4 to 7 p.m. or download his archived interviews below.
DoD, VA database mesh a model for collaboration
Monday - 6/14/2010, 7:08pm EDT
"Building upon the same standards in both systems allows us to be able to match up," Mr. Campbell tells me on today's In Depth Conversation, "A Model for the Country: DoD/VA Health IT Information Sharing." "If you didn't have those standards, and the same vocabulary, essentially, you wouldn't be able to do that."
The job of integrating the DoD and VA health IT databases to provide a lifetime electronic health record for both active-duty military personnel and veterans is filled with lessons learned for any agency collaboration. Dr. James Peake, Senior Vice-President for the Health Industry at CGI and former Secretary of Veterans Affairs, says the most important element of interagency projects is stepping outside your own job.
"First of all, you need to understand their mission, because that's what they're going to be held accountable to," Dr. Peake says. "Then know your own mission well, and understand where those overlaps might be. That's what's going to feed the opportunities."
Dr. Peake and Mr. Campbell were my guests for the entire hour. We discussed the history of the collaboration between DoD and VA on health IT; where the collaboration stands today; goals for the next five years; and best practices other agencies can take from the work these two agencies have done together.