Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Delivering the Digital Government Mission
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 4-7 p.m.
In Depth with Francis Rose features daily interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 4 to 7 p.m. or download his archived interviews below.
How to make federal management more effective
Thursday - 5/6/2010, 8:16pm EDT
Getting good results from your team is becoming more important with the administration's emphasis on results. Government management expert Robert Tobias, Director of the Institute for the Study of Public Policy Implementation at American University, spent the first hour of the show with me today, talking about a number of the issues you're dealing with when it comes to managing for better results.
Just some of the topics of discussion:
Today's breaking news included the failure of a bill in the House of Representatives promoting telework at agencies. Bob analyzed the results, and we talked about some of the reasons managers might still be dragging their feet on telework.
Measuring for results often fails at the beginning - when the measurements themselves are determined. Bob listed some critical elements of the measurement creation process, and the follow-up necessary to ensure the results that are desired are the ones being measured.
The Pentagon's pay-for-performance plan - the National Security Personnel System - is almost completely gone. But Bob believes one element of NSPS deserves resuscitation. He explained the three elements of NSPS - and which one should be kept around.