Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Thursday - 5/3/2012, 11:46am EDT
Carla Smith is Executive Vice President of HIMSS, the world's largest cause-based, not-for-profit focused on the optimal use of information technology and management systems for the betterment of healthcare. HIMSS represents approximately 42,000 individual members, more than 550 corporate members and more than 150 not-for-profit organizations that share its mission.
Ms. Smith has 25 years of experience in policy development for the information technology and management systems industry, two-thirds of it focused on healthcare. She champions transformational ideas that affect quality, safety, efficiency, access to, and payment of care in healthcare delivery.
Within HIMSS, Ms. Smith leads all efforts in North America; addressing thought leadership, membership, events, professional development, best practices tools, regional affairs, and government relations. In this capacity, she leverages her extensive experience in nonprofit management to ensure HIMSS strategic direction and financial health.
In addition to her responsibilities at HIMSS, Ms. Smith serves on the Boards for the following entities: the National Stroke Association; the Commission for the Accreditation of Health Management Education (Chair-Elect); MITRE's Health Group; Southeastern Michigan Health Information Exchange; and, Daycroft Montessori. She also serves on NeHC's Consumer Consortium on eHealth's Messaging Workgroup. Before joining HIMSS in 2001, Ms. Smith served for seven years as the Chief Executive Officer of the Center for Healthcare Information Management (CHIM), where she built the first healthcare IT focus on government relations.
Ms. Smith holds a Master's degree in Communications from Eastern Michigan University and a Bachelor's degree from Adrian College. She has earned a Nonprofit Management Certification from Case Western Reserve University and her HIMSS Fellow status.