Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 6-9 a.m.
Hosts Tom Temin and Emily Kopp bring you the latest news affecting the federal community each weekday morning, featuring interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 6 to 9 a.m. or download archived interviews below.
Federal Drive Show Blog - June 10, 2013
Monday - 6/10/2013, 8:40am EDT
Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response, EPA
The federal government is trying to go green in a hurry, per a 2009 presidential order. Enter he Federal Green Challenge. The year-old contest pits federal agencies against each other to see who can improve the most. They compete in six target areas, from waste to purchasing, energy to transportation. The EPA runs the program. Mathy Stanislaus, the assistant administrator for the Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response, says the first year proves energy efficiency doesn't mean a big price tag.
environmental project manager
Nearly 300 federal programs competed in the first year of the Federal Green Challenge. The overall national achievement winner was NASA's White Sands Test Facility near Las Cruces, N.M. Its team pledged to recycle at least 5 percent more waste that would otherwise go to a landfill. But environmental project manager Michael Jones says it wasn't the typical garbage.
From Our Reporters
The pressure on agencies to improve their cybersecurity is already paying off. The White House says the government saw significant improvements across all three cross-agency cybersecurity goals in the six months since they were established. The goals are to implement continuous monitoring, to strengthen Internet gateways and to use two-factor authentication to log onto federal networks. In an exclusive interview, Andy Ozment, the senior director for cybersecurity in the Executive Office of the President, tells executive editor Jason Miller about how agencies are making federal networks and computers more secure.
Federal News Radio's Tom Temin attended the Government Performance Summit in Crystal City, Va. He interviewed speakers from both the government and private sector participating in the conference. Listen to those interviews here.
MORE FROM THE FEDERAL DRIVE
NSA contract worker is surveillance source (Federal News Radio)
Edward Snowden comes forward as source of NSA leaks (The Washington Post)
IRS manager: White House not involved in reviews (Federal News Radio)
Major legislation to help veterans who are victims of sexual assault is approved (Rep. Chellie Pingree)
Marines, sailor arrested in San Diego sweep (Federal News Radio)