Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 6-9 a.m.
Hosts Tom Temin and Emily Kopp bring you the latest news affecting the federal community each weekday morning, featuring interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 6 to 9 a.m. or download archived interviews below.
Federal Drive Show Blog - May 30, 2013
Thursday - 5/30/2013, 11:04am EDT
director of Public Sector Executive Education
A few months into the sequester, what are we to make of all this fiscal austerity? Some agencies have rescinded furlough notices. They say forcing employees to take unpaid leave isn't necessary after all. Others, like the departments of Defense and Justice, are still planning on multiple weeks of furloughs.
executive vice president
Vivek Kundra was President Barack Obama's first federal chief information officer. He launched the cloud computing initiative and the idea of mobile government. Lately, he's been an evangelist for online software at Salesforce.com We spoke to him when the company staged an event in Washington. First we asked Kundra why agencies are, one by one, adopting cloud computing.
The president has nominated Katherine Archuleta to become director of the Office of Personnel Management. She was the chief of staff for former Labor Secretary Hilda Solis. But perhaps no one knows Archuleta better than Federico Pena. She was his chief of staff when he was mayor of Denver and later when he was Transportation Secretary in the Clinton Administration.
From Our Reporters
Two years ago, the Navy set out to reduce its IT spending by 25 percent, mostly through efficiencies. Officials say they've been successful, but the overall budget picture hasn't gotten any rosier since then. Federal News Radio's Jared Serbu reports, the service will turn to IT for still more reductions.
Open data advocates are worried about a possible loophole in the open data policy. The section would let agencies withhold data they believe could create a mosaic effect. The mosaic effect is the idea that multiple data sets taken one-by-one provide no private information. But taken all together, the information could shed light on personal or classified data. Steve VanRoekel, the federal chief information officer, sat down with reporters recently to talk about the open data policy and other issues. Federal News Radio's Executive Editor Jason Miller was there and brings us back excerpts from that discussion, including why VanRoekel says the mosaic effect isn't that big of a deal.
MORE FROM THE FEDERAL DRIVE
DOJ report shows spike in reservation crime cases (Federal News Radio)
Obama to name ex-Bush aide to head FBI (Federal News Radio)
Former EPA chief Lisa Jackson heads to Apple (The San Jose Mercury News)
Former OMB performance guru Metzenbaum lands new job (Federal News Radio)
EPA cuts furlough hours (Federal News Radio)
Petraeus gets job with investment firm KKR (Federal News Radio)