Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 6-9 a.m.
Hosts Tom Temin and Emily Kopp bring you the latest news affecting the federal community each weekday morning, featuring interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 6 to 9 a.m. or download archived interviews on our daily show blogs.
Panetta: Layoffs unlikely over 'fiscal cliff'
Thursday - 12/20/2012, 4:30pm EST
WASHINGTON (AP) - Defense Secretary Leon Panetta is assuring Pentagon workers they will not face layoffs immediately if the government cannot avert the year-end federal tax increases and spending cuts known as the "fiscal cliff."
In a letter to all Defense Department employees Thursday, Panetta said he does not believe the Pentagon's day-to-day operations would change dramatically in the days after the spending cuts went into effect.
He also said that if the Pentagon has to operate for an extended period on reduced funding, then layoffs or other personnel actions may have to be considered. He added that if layoffs are necessary, advance notice will be provided.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)