Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 6-9 a.m.
Host Tom Temin brings you the latest news affecting the federal community each weekday morning, featuring interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 6 to 9 a.m. or download archived interviews below.
Whether retirement is near or far, prepare now
Friday - 5/27/2011, 12:37pm EDT
Federal News Radio
For some federal employees, retirement is right around the corner and for others it's a bit further away. In this time of frozen pay and potential changes to retirement contributions, there are certain things all federal employees should be doing to prepare for their post-work lives.
Ed Zurndorfer, a registered employee benefit consultant, offered these tips:
- Start savings from day one of your federal career.
- Make a "sincere effort" to maximize your Thrift Savings Plan contributions. A 5 percent contribution is really like putting in 10 percent of your pay because of the agency matching, Zurndorfer said.
- Make a budget. Follow it.
- If you owe a deposit for military service or temporary time, you should redeposit those contributions. "In so doing, that will add to their FERS annuity or there CSRS annuity," Zurndorfer said.