Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Monday - Friday, 6-9 a.m.
Host Tom Temin brings you the latest news affecting the federal community each weekday morning, featuring interviews with top government executives and contractors. Listen live from 6 to 9 a.m. or download archived interviews below.
Medicare plan for feds explained
Friday - 4/29/2011, 10:41am EDT
Senior Internet Editor
A plan by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin calls for a fundamental overhaul of Medicare for future retirees. Under Ryan's plan, anyone 54 years old or younger would be put into a voucher-like program. Instead of the government paying doctor and hospital bills, the federal government would subsidize purchases of private insurance policies.
For non-federal employees, said Ed Zurndorfer, a Registered Employee Benefit Consultant, "this could be a significant change in their retirement years."
But most federal employees have access to the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP). Zurndorfer told the Federal Drive, "they pay, on average, 28 percent of the total premiums and the federal government pays the remaining 72 percent."
In order to carry the insurance over into retirement, feds must:
- Participate in the FEHBP all of the last five years preceding the retirement date.
"If a federal employee retires and keeps the health insurance, when they turn 65, they're going to maintain that. They don't have to shop around for something that's going to be a substitute for Medicare," said Zurndorfer, "because under (Ryan's) plan, the government would provide some vouchers for people 65 and older to go out and get some health insurance."
At 65, the retiree is encouraged to sign up for Medicare. Currently, Medicare would be the primary payer of medical bills and FEHBP will pay "most if not all of what the medicare does not pay," said Zurndorfer.
"It's great if a federal retiree has Medicare because my rule of thumb is if you have Medicare Part A, the hospital insurance; Medicare Part B, the medical insurance, and your federal employees' health insurance plan, between those three plans you will not pay anything out of pocket. Everything will be paid for in full."
And then there's the issue of long term care, which should be seriously considered.
Still confused? Zurndorfer said health care should be considered as part of an overall retirement plan, so "individuals really have to sit down with their financial advisors and talk about this."