Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Delivering the Digital Government Mission
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Open Season with FSAFEDS
Monday - 11/5/2012, 11:46pm EST
November 5, 2012 -- This week on For Your Benefit join hosts Bob Leins and Tammy Flanagan as they begin their series of Open Season Shows, which gives you, the listener, a chance to hear options and consider the choices for health and dental benefits coverage for next year.
Today, Bart Turney from FSAFEDS joins them in the studio to discuss flexible spending accounts and why they are good choices to help with health care AND day care expenses.
- What is FSAFEDS?
It's an account to which you contribute money from your salary BEFORE taxes are withheld, then get reimbursed for your out-of-pocket health care and dependent care expenses.
- Why Should I Care?
If you pay co-pays, co-insurance, deductibles or buy over-the-counter medicines, or have other medical expenses that your regular insurance doesn't pay for, or pay for child care and/or adult day care expenses, or have vision and dental expenses - then you are already paying for those expenses and NOT saving any money. But when the FSAFEDS reimbursement arrives - it's like getting an instant pay raise!
- How do I SAVE MONEY?
Let's say you make $1,000 per pay date - that means you pay taxes on $1,000 per pay date. If you put $20 per pay date in FSAFEDS - then you only pay taxes on $980 per pay date. You save money by paying less tax. You get the money in your account(s) back when you submit timely claims for eligible expenses. This is an easy way to SAVE MONEY on the services and products that you are already spending money on.
If you decide to participate, you must put in at least $250 for the year, and no more than $2500. Turney says you should calculate how much you wil spend out of pocket for medical purposes and put that monay into an FSA. "This is not something to save for a rainy day, save for unanticipated medical expenses," he tells Leins and Falanagan. "This is to help you save taxes on those out-of-pocket expenses that you're going to have anyway."
To find out what sorts of medical expenses are covered by the terms of your FSA, visit the Eligible Expenses Juke Box on the FSAFEDS website.