Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
IT Program managers now part of IT job series
Friday - 6/3/2011, 5:35pm EDT
Federal News Radio
IT program manager is now a real position in the government.
The Office of Personnel Management revised part of the 2210 job series for information technology to include the new job title.
Angela Bailey, OPM's deputy associate director for recruitment and hiring, sent a memo to agency human resource officers May 31 detailing the new part of the job series.
Bailey wrote the IT program manager job series "reflects the growth of this type of work," and will give "agencies more flexibility to manage IT programs responsibly and to attract and retain a more effective workforce."
The change adds a new basic title and definition for IT program manager and clarifies the differences between IT program managers and positions covered by the Program Management, 0340, occupational series.
According to the revised 2210 job series, an IT program manger is someone who:
- Manages one or more major multi-year IT initiatives of such magnitude they must be carried out through multiple related IT projects; Leads, coordinates, communicates, integrates and is accountable for the overall success of the program, ensuring alignment with critical agency priorities. They are responsible for ensuring the work efforts achieve the outcome specified within the agency's business strategy, including appropriate strategic, life cycle management and capital IT investment plans. Work includes project selection, prioritization, evaluation and monitoring, cost schedule management, risk management, quality management and resource allocations.
"Agencies are encouraged to utilize the new title as soon as possible to meet the intent of the White House 25 Point Plan to better identify, recruit, select, and develop a cadre of high-performing IT program managers," Bailey wrote.
(Copyright 2011 by FederalNewsRadio.com. All Rights Reserved.)