Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Navy's Mabus: No plans for more BRAC closings in 2015
Wednesday - 3/2/2011, 3:38pm EST
Federal News Radio
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said there are no plans for more Base Realignment and Closure-related closings starting in 2015, the Norwich Bulletin reports.
Back in 2005, the BRAC panel did suggest that another process begin in late 2015; however, congressional approval is needed for the process to begin, the Bulletin reports.
"We aren't even contemplating it," said Rep. Buck Mckeon (R-Calif.), Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, in the Bulletin.
Last week, Sen. John Kerry said that the council's projects would be helpful when BRAC begins again in four years, addressing the Massachusetts High Technology Council, reports the The Day. It was the first time anyone had publicly stated a date for the next round of proposed base closings, according to the article.
The start of another BRAC process is possible but was not included in Defense Secretary Robert Gate's 2012 budget request reducing its likelihood, The Day reports.
The current BRAC process began in 2005 and is expected to be completed around late 2014.
John Buckner is an intern with Federal News Radio.
(Copyright 2011 by FederalNewsRadio.com. All Rights Reserved.)