Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Wennergren is next, and last, BTA chief
Tuesday - 1/18/2011, 6:30pm EST
Federal News Radio
David Wennergren, the Defense Department's assistant deputy chief management officer inherited a second hat on Tuesday.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates named Wennergren as the new director of the soon-to-be-defunct Business Transformation Agency. He replaces David Fisher, who began a new job at the Government Accountability Office on Tuesday.
Wennergren's main task in his role as BTA director will be to oversee its closure. Gates placed the agency on the chopping block as part of the efficiency initiatives he announced in August. Congress created the agency in 2006 to reform DoD's business practices, but BTA "has shifted more of its focus to day-to-day oversight of individual acquisition programs, a function that can be performed by a number of other organizations," Gates said last August.
"I will be leading the disestablishment of the command, and transfer of mission, over the months ahead," Wennergren wrote in an email to Federal News Radio. He said the goal was to complete the agency's shutdown by June 30.
Wennergren said he was chosen as BTA's final director because the DCMO's office would be assuming many of the agency's remaining functions. Others will be transitioned to the Defense Logistics Agency.
(Copyright 2011 by FederalNewsRadio.com. All Rights Reserved.)