Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Obama amends order to include CTO
Wednesday - 2/11/2009, 3:14pm EST
President Barack Obama Feb. 5 further signaled his intention to name a chief technology officer.
In a notice published in Wednesday's Federal Register, the President amended Executive Order 12859 from August 1993 by removing the AIDS Policy Coordinator and replaces it with an Assistant to the President and Chief Technology Officer
The Executive Order signed by former President Bill Clinton established the Domestic Policy Council and listed the members.
This is the first time the administration included assistant to the president as part of the CTO's title.
The White House Web site says the President would "appoint the nation's first CTO to ensure the safety of our networks and lead an interagency effort, working with chief technology and chief information officers of each of the federal agencies, to ensure that they use best-in-class technologies and share best practices."
Under the Homeland Security section of the White House site, it says the President would "appoint a National CTO to ensure that the current non-interoperable plans at the federal, state, and local levels are combined, funded, implemented and effective."
A CTO also play a major role in other areas such as openness and transparency and private sector critical infrastructure security.
On the Web:
FederalNewsRadio - Turf wars biggest challenge for CTO
Federal Register - Notice of amendment to Executive Order 12859
White House - Homeland Security Agenda
White House- Technology Agenda
(Copyright 2009 by FederalNewsRadio.com. All Rights Reserved.)