Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
For decades, the government's HR systems have been one of the biggest scapegoats for agency performance problems. There have been scores of criticisms. Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry now gets his turn to try to reform many long-standing federal HR challenges. In our series, HReinvented, Federal News Radio asks experts what would it take to build a better personnel system? We find where innovation already exists in government and ask, could these examples be a model for the rest of the agencies?
HReinvented: Getting the outsider's view on HR reform
Thursday - 4/8/2010, 8:34pm EDT
But some critics say no one is thinking about the issues from the perspective of the job candidates. Some Federal employees (or prospective Federal employees) pay good money to have experts help them navigate the Federal hiring and career advancement process. Three of those experts talked to me about fixes that will make it easier for the good talent to stand out, get hired, and stay in government throughout fulfilling, rewarding careers.
The experts included:
--Derrick T. Dortch, President of the Diversa Group and host of Federal News Radio's "Fed Access"
--Kathryn Troutman, founder and President of "The Resume Place" and author of several books on Federal HR issues
--Lily Whiteman, Federal career coach, current Federal employee, Federal Times contributor, and author of "How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job"