Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
For decades, the government's HR systems have been one of the biggest scapegoats for agency performance problems. There have been scores of criticisms. Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry now gets his turn to try to reform many long-standing federal HR challenges. In our series, HReinvented, Federal News Radio asks experts what would it take to build a better personnel system? We find where innovation already exists in government and ask, could these examples be a model for the rest of the agencies?
HReinvented: Getting the outsider's view on HR reform
Thursday - 4/8/2010, 8:34pm EDT
But some critics say no one is thinking about the issues from the perspective of the job candidates. Some Federal employees (or prospective Federal employees) pay good money to have experts help them navigate the Federal hiring and career advancement process. Three of those experts talked to me about fixes that will make it easier for the good talent to stand out, get hired, and stay in government throughout fulfilling, rewarding careers.
The experts included:
--Derrick T. Dortch, President of the Diversa Group and host of Federal News Radio's "Fed Access"
--Kathryn Troutman, founder and President of "The Resume Place" and author of several books on Federal HR issues
--Lily Whiteman, Federal career coach, current Federal employee, Federal Times contributor, and author of "How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job"