Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
July Community Spotlight
Tuesday - 6/25/2013, 12:48pm EDT
The Federal News Radio United Way Community Spotlight for July is Our House.
Our House stands out from the myriad programs for at-risk youth because of the holistic and structured approach developed at its inception in 1993. Today, the program is rooted in vocational and academic education including carpentry, organic farming, beekeeping, pottery, woodcrafts, animal husbandry, GED preparedness, computer skills and more—trainees learn life skills that build confidence and self-esteem.
Community service also plays an important role in the Our House experience. One of the core values imparted to every trainee is the value of giving back, and, to date, Our House has contributed more than 19,000 service hours back to the community. Their community service has earned them the Thomas Jefferson Award for Outstanding Public Service and is only one of the many awards and recognitions the program has received.
Our House is located on a 140-acre working farm approximately one half hour north of D.C. Oprah Winfrey was kind enough to help purchase the property in 2000, supporting the programs concepts and goals. Our House accommodates 16 young men and is now conducting a Capital Campaign to build a bigger dorm and meet the growing demand for this successful program, and to meet the urgency of their continued waiting list so they can stop turning needy young men away.
Our House works at giving these young men a chance of success in life and is proud to have graduates who have successfully turned their lives around, become entrepreneurs, dependable employees, positive role models and upstanding citizens.
To celebrate its 20th anniversary this year and to support its programming, Our House is hosting a fundraiser event.
What: "Give A Child A Future," 3rd Annual Our House Campaign Gala
with Honorary Chair Charles S. Dutton and featuring the Daryl Davis Band, live & silent auctions, food, drinks, special guest and celebrity appearances
When: Friday, September 20, 2013
Where: The Lockheed Martin Lobby of the Music Center of Strathmore, 5301 Tuckerman Lane, North Bethesda, 20852 Minimum Suggested Donation: $125 (Advance or Reserved reservations only)
For Information, Sponsorship Opportunities, Auction Items or Other Donations In Support of the Gala Contact: 202-400-1999 or email email@example.com
We are always looking for mentors, tutors, drivers, volunteers for our events.
Our House is located at 19715 Zion Road, Brookeville, MD 20833 Tel: 301-519-1019 firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about Our House accomplishments, to donate, or to reserve tickets for upcoming events, please visit: Our-House.org
Federal News Radio Charities are fed by Papa John's. Visit them at www.papajohns.com.