Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
IRA car bomb targets Belfast's top shopping mall
Monday - 11/25/2013, 10:32am EST
For The Associated Press
BELFAST, Northern Ireland (AP) -- A suspected Irish Republican Army car bomb targeting Belfast's biggest shopping center has failed to detonate. But police say the driver ordered to deliver the bomb was been traumatized, and security in the Northern Ireland capital is being increased in the run-up to Christmas.
Police evacuated a cinema, restaurants and apartments connected to the Victoria Square complex after the car containing about 130 pounds (60 kilograms) of homemade explosive was abandoned Sunday night at the entrance to the shopping center's underground parking lot. The alert snarled rush-hour traffic Monday.
Police say the bomb's detonator was triggered before British Army experts could dismantle the device, but explosives packed inside a barrel failed to detonate.
No group claimed responsibility, but police and politicians blamed IRA extremists opposed to the group's 1997 cease-fire.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.