Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Excerpts from pope's first news conference
Monday - 7/29/2013, 7:18pm EDT
The Associated Press
ABOARD THE PAPAL AIRCRAFT (AP) -- Pope Francis gave a wide-ranging news conference on his trip back to Rome from Brazil, candidly responding to some of the touchiest issues facing the Vatican during an hour and 22-minute long chat with reporters. Here are highlights.
HE WON'T JUDGE PRIESTS FOR THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION: "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?"
HE BENDS TO HIS BODYGUARDS ON PAPAL SECURITY: "I'd like to walk in the streets. But I know it's impossible."
NO IMMINENT TRIP TO HIS NATIVE ARGENTINA SINCE HE'S JUST RETURNED FROM BRAZIL: "A Latin American pope, his first trip to Latin America? Arrivederci."
CHURCH SHOULD BUILD BIGGER ROLE FOR WOMEN -- THOUGH NOT AS PRIESTS: "We must go farther in the explicitness of the role and charisma of women living in the church."
THAT MYSTERIOUS BLACK BAG HE CARRIED ONTO THE PLANE HELD ONLY HIS RAZOR AND BOOKS: "The keys to the atomic bomb weren't in it."
HE'S TIRED AND HE HURT HIS SCIATIC NERVE USING A BAD CHAIR IN HIS FIRST MONTH AS POPE: "It was so painful. So painful! I wouldn't wish it in anyone."
HE LIKES HIS ADVISERS TO CHALLENGE HIM: "I like it when someone tells me 'I don't agree.' This is a true collaborator. When they say 'Oh, how great, how great, how great,'" that's not useful.
HE LOVES RETIRED POPE BENEDICT XVI LIKE A GRANDFATHER: "The last time there were two or three popes, they didn't talk among themselves and they fought over who was the true pope!" Having Benedict living in the Vatican "is like having a grandfather -- a wise grandfather -- living at home."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.