Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Former hostage left bemused by UK piracy mix up
Sunday - 5/5/2013, 8:00pm EDT
LONDON (AP) -- Arrrrgh! That must've been embarrassing.
A man held hostage by Somali pirates says he was bemused when he encountered a crowd of eye patch-wearing, plastic sword-wielding women on the lecture circuit earlier this month.
Colin Darch , 75, said Thursday that his host, a southwest England chapter of the education-focused Women's Institute, seemed to have thought he was going to speak about historical 'shiver me timbers' pirates, rather than the modern-day bandits terrorizing the Indian Ocean.
Darch, a retired sailor who has written a book and given lectures about his 2008 kidnapping, says his audience was sheepish over the mix up.
He says, "I think they were worried I might be a bit upset that they were trivializing it, but I thought it was funny."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.