Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Former hostage left bemused by UK piracy mix up
Sunday - 5/5/2013, 8:00pm EDT
LONDON (AP) -- Arrrrgh! That must've been embarrassing.
A man held hostage by Somali pirates says he was bemused when he encountered a crowd of eye patch-wearing, plastic sword-wielding women on the lecture circuit earlier this month.
Colin Darch , 75, said Thursday that his host, a southwest England chapter of the education-focused Women's Institute, seemed to have thought he was going to speak about historical 'shiver me timbers' pirates, rather than the modern-day bandits terrorizing the Indian Ocean.
Darch, a retired sailor who has written a book and given lectures about his 2008 kidnapping, says his audience was sheepish over the mix up.
He says, "I think they were worried I might be a bit upset that they were trivializing it, but I thought it was funny."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.