Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
12 suspected militants killed in Chechnya
Thursday - 1/24/2013, 5:51am EST
ROSTOV-ON-DON, Russia (AP) - Officials in Chechnya say 12 suspected militants were killed in a special operation in this Russian North Caucasus republic that was launched after two policemen were killed and seven injured in an attack on a police station.
The Interior Ministry said Thursday the militants were killed in combat with police forces in the mountains south of the provincial capital Grozny. It identified two of the dead as influential warlords, brothers Muslim and Hussein Gakayev, who were wanted on terrorism charges.
The ministry said the militants had been hiding in the mountains plotting a terrorist attack.
Chechnya was devastated in two separatist wars in the 1990s. Major fighting died out years ago, but sporadic attacks on Russian soldiers and police persist.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)