Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
Syrian state media: Rebels attack prison in north
Friday - 5/24/2013, 5:29am EDT
BEIRUT (AP) - Syria's state media say rebels have fired mortar shells at the central prison in an embattled northern city, killing and wounding several inmates.
The pro-opposition Aleppo Media Center says clashes are underway between rebels and government troops at the prison in Aleppo. The center says a large fire has broken out at the facility.
Friday's fighting comes a week after President Bashar Assad's forces repelled a rebel raid on the prison that sought to free hundreds of political prisoners.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says intense fighting is also going on in the town of Qusair, near the border with Lebanon.
Government forces have been trying to recapture the town since Sunday. State-run news agency SANA says troops killed a "large number" of rebels in the latest clashes.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)