Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
PC, tablet, phone shipments to hit 2.4B in 2013
Sunday - 4/7/2013, 5:50pm EDT
NEW YORK (AP) -- Research firm Gartner says it expects worldwide PC, tablet and mobile phone shipments to reach 2.4 billion units this year, up 9 percent from 2012.
Gartner Inc. said Thursday that device shipments should continue to grow, hitting more than 2.9 billion in 2017. But the mix of devices is shifting away from PCs.
Gartner expects desktop and notebook PC shipments to continue to decline as people move toward more portable devices like tablets and "ultramobile" electronics that fall somewhere between a laptop and a tablet, such as the MacBook Air.
The research firm says that tablet shipments will likely reach 197 million units this year, up nearly 70 percent from 116 million in 2012.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.