Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
Google invests $75 million in Iowa wind farm
Thursday - 11/15/2012, 11:36am EST
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) - Google is investing $75 million in an Iowa wind farm as part of its effort to encourage development of cleaner energy sources.
The deal announced Thursday gives Google Inc. a stake in the Rippey Wind Farm in Greene County, Iowa. RPM Access LLC is the primary owner.
The wind farm is located about 130 miles northeast of Council Bluffs, Iowa, which is home to one of the eight data centers that power Google's Internet search engine and other services.
The Iowa data center won't be getting power from the wind farm.
The high electricity demand of Google's massive data centers is one of the reasons the company backs energy projects that cause less pollution than traditional power plants.
Google's investments in renewable energy now exceed $990 million.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)