Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Court rules against young man in 4 Detroit deaths
Tuesday - 4/29/2014, 2:01pm EDT
DETROIT (AP) -- A young Detroit man who confessed to killing four people when he was 14 can't withdraw his guilty plea, the Michigan Supreme Court said in a crucial decision that puts efforts to clear him back at the starting gate.
The court didn't comment on the strength or weakness of Davontae Sanford's case. It said he couldn't scratch his guilty plea because there's no sign that the procedure in Wayne County Circuit Court was faulty.
It is an extraordinary case. Sanford, now 21, is in prison for the fatal shootings of four people at a Detroit drug den in 2007, but he's been trying to undo his guilty plea for more than five years.
A hit man, Vincent Smothers, said he's responsible for the Runyon Street homicides -- not Sanford. He admitted his role in 2008 while confessing to a string of other killings. But police and prosecutors took no interest. By that time, Sanford's case was closed with a conviction and a minimum prison sentence of 39 years.
Smothers, 33, is in prison for eight other killings and has told The Associated Press that he's willing to testify for Sanford. Appeals Court Judge David Sawyer last year said an innocent young man may be in prison.
In a brief order Friday, the Supreme Court said Sanford can't pull his guilty plea but still can pursue an appeal. His attorney, Jonathan Sacks, said he'll likely focus on Smothers' confession as evidence that wasn't available at Sanford's trial.
"We look forward to an opportunity for a fresh start and a clean plate in this case," Sacks said.
The process, however, still could take years.
Prosecutor Kym Worthy refuses to back away from Sanford's guilty plea at age 15 to second-degree murder. His lawyers say he confessed simply to please police. There is no video of the interrogation.
"The Wayne County prosecutor's office will continue to oppose relief for Sanford," spokeswoman Maria Miller said Tuesday.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.