Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Rick Warren: Son used unregistered gun in suicide
Friday - 4/12/2013, 1:40am EDT
TUSTIN, Calif. (AP) -- Pastor Rick Warren said his son killed himself with an unregistered gun he purchased through the Internet.
Warren sent a tweet Thursday saying he forgives whoever sold the weapon to his 27-year-old son Matthew, who committed suicide last Friday.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department is trying to find the seller but it won't be easy. The gun's serial number was scratched off, making it impossible to trace, spokesman Jim Amormino said.
"We can't tell if it's registered or not because the serial number is scratched off," he said. "At one point in time, it may have been, but it's going to be impossible to find out."
It's illegal in California to buy a gun without a background check and purchasers are supposed to register their firearms. Defacing a gun's serial number is a federal offense.
Rick Warren is pastor of Saddleback Church in Orange County and author of "The Purpose-Driven Life," a bestseller.
He and his wife, Kay, said in an email on Saturday that their son struggled for much of his life with severe depression and suicidal thoughts. They have set up a mental health fund in Matthew's memory.
Warren has tweeted daily since his son's death, including items about seeing his son's body at the coroner's office for the first time, combating the stigma of mental illness and the challenges of grieving when a public figure.
Follow Gillian Flaccus on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/gflaccus
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.