Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Police: Child, 10, killed in random Minn. Shooting
Tuesday - 2/12/2013, 4:40am EST
OAKDALE, Minn. (AP) -- A gunman apparently firing randomly at vehicles killed a 10-year-old and wounded the child's mother and another woman Monday night, Oakdale's police chief said. The suspect was in custody.
Several bursts of gunfire erupted about 6:10 p.m. near a Rainbow Foods store in the eastern Twin Cities suburb, KMSP-TV reported.
The gunman fired at a car carrying the 10-year-old and the child's mother, Oakdale Police Chief Bill Sullivan said. The child died and the mother was wounded in the arm, said Sullivan, who would not say whether the child was a boy or a girl.
A woman in another car was struck and wounded in the hand, Sullivan said. Both women are expected to recover, he said.
"It appears to be entirely random," Sullivan told The Associated Press. "At this time it appears he was randomly shooting at vehicles."
A 33-year-old man was in custody and was being questioned by investigators, Sullivan said. The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported the man lives in the neighborhood.
Authorities believe there are no other suspects and there is no danger to the public, Sullivan said.
"It's sick," Oakdale Mayor Carmen Sarrack told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune on Monday night. "What can you say when a 9-year-old or 10-year-old is killed? ... People are devastated that this could happen in our city."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.