Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Coach shoots teen during robbery near Mich. school
Wednesday - 2/6/2013, 5:39pm EST
DETROIT (AP) -- A 70-year-old high school basketball coach shot and killed one teenager and wounded a second as they attempted to rob him outside the school, Detroit police said.
Ernest Robinson, an assistant girls' basketball coach at Martin Luther King Jr. High School, was accosted by two males Friday evening while walking two members of the girls' team outside King High, said Officer Cassandra Lewis, a police spokeswoman.
"They announced a robbery, a struggle ensued and he pulled a weapon and fired," said Lewis, who added that Robinson is a reserve police officer and licensed to carry a concealed pistol.
Michael Scott, a 16-year-old ninth-grader at the east side school, was shot and killed, according to Steve Wasko, a spokesman for Detroit Public Schools.
A 15-year-old male was wounded. His name was not released.
Detroit police homicide investigators submitted a warrant request this week to the Wayne County prosecutor's office. Prosecutors were reviewing the case Wednesday to determine whether to file charges, spokesman Mark Bernardi said.
Scott's mother has told reporters that her son did not have a gun.
"I lost my son and I want answers," Priscilla Scott said.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.