Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Mayor's group sponsors gun control Super Bowl ad
Saturday - 2/2/2013, 10:23pm EST
NEW YORK (AP) - A gun control group founded by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is airing a Super Bowl advertisement calling for background checks.
The 30-second spot by Mayors Against Illegal Guns will air in the Washington area during the game between the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers.
The ad calls on lawmakers to pass rules requiring background checks on guns. It is narrated by children, with "America the Beautiful" playing in the background.
It includes decades-old footage of National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre saying the gun lobby group approves of the checks. LaPierre recently testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee that the NRA no longer supports background checks for all gun sales.
A Bloomsberg spokesman would say only that the ad cost in the six-figure range.
Mayors Against Illegal Guns is a coalition of more than 900 mayors from 48 states.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)