Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
40 students in hospital after Tenn. gas leak
Tuesday - 1/15/2013, 12:08pm EST
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - More than three dozen students were hospitalized overnight for carbon monoxide poisoning after a furnace leaked at their Nashville private school, officials said Tuesday.
Drexel Preparatory Academy principal Cheryl Bowman said students began coming to the office Monday morning complaining of flu-like symptoms. Officials decided to cancel classes.
After students were sent home, the school got a call from Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital, saying several students had been brought in and showed high levels of carbon monoxide.
Hospital spokesman Craig Boerner said 49 students were eventually brought in by parents and 40 of them were admitted. There were no fatalities and all of the students were in stable medical condition.
"Dr. Donna Seger, who is the hospital toxicologist and also the medical director of the poison control center, said the treatment would be 23 hours of oxygen," Boerner said.
"The hospital advised parents to take their children to any hospital for treatment," he said.
Boerner said it was important for parents of Drexel students to have their children examined by doctors if they weren't feeling well because the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can mimic those of influenza.
Workers found a hole in a heating unit that serves the central part of the school and it was being repaired.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by combustion.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)