Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Rifle in Conn. massacre similar to DC sniper
Monday - 12/17/2012, 2:50am EST
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Weapons used by Connecticut gunman Adam Lanza, who killed 20 children and six school workers Friday after killing his mother at their home. Lanza committed suicide in Sandy Hook Elementary School.
The primary murder weapon:
_ Bushmaster AR-15 rifle, a civilian version of the military's M-16 and a model commonly seen at marksmanship competitions. It's similar to the weapon used in a recent shopping mall shooting in Oregon. Two men convicted in a series of sniper killings in the Washington, D.C.-area in 2002 also used a Bushmaster .223-caliber rifle that they fired from the trunk of a car at randomly picked victims. Lanza was carrying multiple 30-round magazines, police said, though higher capacity ones are available.
Also found in the school near Lanza's body:
_ Glock 10 mm: A larger and more powerful weapon than the widely popular 9 mm, it is in many respects similar to the 9 mm. It is a lightweight and comparatively affordable weapon that is often used for target shooting and for personal protection. Lanza killed himself with a shot to the head from this pistol, according to a state official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the source was not authorized to disclose details of the investigation.
_ Sig Sauer 9 mm: Considered an upper-tier, quality product, it's comparatively expensive, and its range of uses includes elite military and police units.
Found in the vehicle Lanza drove to the school:
_ A fourth weapon, a shotgun.
_ The gunman's mother was found dead in her pajamas in bed, shot four times in the head with a .22-caliber rifle, said the Connecticut official who spoke on condition of anonymity.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)