Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Winds leave thousands without power in Colorado
Thursday - 10/18/2012, 1:02am EDT
DENVER (AP) - It could be midday Thursday before electricity is restored to everyone who lost power in the Denver area after powerful winds.
Xcel Energy says the blackouts affected about 50,000 customers in Denver, Fort Collins and Greeley starting at 10 p.m. Tuesday. Crews restored service to most by midday Wednesday.
About 5,500 were still without power Wednesday evening, and the company said it could be noon Thursday everyone's service is restored.
The National Weather Service said gusts of up to 60 mph were reported in the Denver area and the northeast Colorado plains Tuesday night.
Gusts of 46 mph were reported in the northern Colorado town of Loveland on Wednesday. Fort Morgan, Akron and Holyoke in northeastern Colorado reported 40 mph gusts.
The Weather Service issued a high wind warning for much of northeastern Colorado, with sustained winds of up to 40 mph and gusts of up to 60 mph possible.
A red flag warning was issued for eastern and southeastern Colorado, saying high wind and low humidity created very high to extreme fire danger. Sustained winds of up to 30 mph and gusts of up to 55 mph were forecast in that area.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)