Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Judge denies bond to Kilpatrick, ex-Detroit mayor
Wednesday - 3/27/2013, 11:50am EDT
DETROIT (AP) - A federal judge has denied a request by ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to be released on bond while he awaits sentencing.
U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds made the bond denial decision on Wednesday. She cited Kilpatrick's criminal record and history of problems adhering to parole conditions.
A lawyer for Kilpatrick had argued that his client isn't a flight risk or a danger to the public. Kilpatrick also has complained that he needs to leave prison so he can receive treatment for a knee injury.
Kilpatrick's mother, former U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, had offered her Detroit home as collateral to ensure her son shows up to court for sentencing.
A federal jury on March 11 found Kilpatrick and his friend Bobby Ferguson guilty on multiple counts, including racketeering conspiracy.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)