Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Brees amazed by reaction to takeout tip
Thursday - 8/1/2013, 7:33pm EDT
METAIRIE, La. (AP) -- Drew Brees says he's amazed his $3 tip on a $74 takeout order last month has become a talking point on national television and the Internet.
The quarterback was in the locker room at Saints headquarters Thursday morning when he noticed a discussion on a network morning show about tipping on takeout orders, referencing a photograph of his takeout receipt that was circulated online.
Brees said he figures the person who initially photographed the receipt did so innocently because he visits the San Diego-area restaurant regularly and poses for photos with staff.
The quarterback said he was disappointed "that it actually got spun and perceived as -- you immediately jump to the conclusion that he stiffed a waiter or waitress. That's the part that bothers me."
Brees responded to the blog himself on the social media site Twitter, writing, "In case anyone still cares about this report: I tipped $3 on a takeout order. Had we sat down it would have been 20% (plus)."
Brees suggested the headline to the initial blog post, which referred to him as "cheap," could have just as easily stated instead that he typically gives restaurant staff a few extra dollars on takeout orders, "but nobody's going to read that."
Brees' contract with the Saints pays $100 million over five years.
The quarterback did not appear deeply disturbed by the matter, smiling often while discussing it. He said he'll be happy if his takeout tip turns out to be the biggest controversy he has to discuss all season.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.