Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Derek Jeter singles in return from broken ankle
Saturday - 3/9/2013, 4:22pm EST
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter singled sharply to left field on his first pitch since breaking an ankle last fall in the AL championship series.
Jeter missed New York's first 13 spring training games and was the Yankees' designated hitter and leadoff batter Saturday against Atlanta. Jeter received a partial standing ovation from the crowd at Steinbrenner Field in the first inning, then singled between shortstop and third base against left-hander Mike Minor.
Jeter was forced at second base on Ichiro Suzuki's grounder, sliding into second base on a play that was not close.
The 38-year-old broke his left ankle lunging for a grounder against Detroit last Oct. 13 and had surgery a week later. He returned on the 147th day after the injury and wore protective gear on the foot.
Also, Phil Hughes threw 10 pitches in his first mound session since being diagnosed three weeks ago with a bulging disk in his upper back. The right-hander said he felt great and planned to have a 25-to-30 pitch bullpen session Monday
New York relievers David Robertson (shoulder) and David Aardsma (groin) also had bullpen sessions.
CC Sabathia, the expected opening-day starter, is to pitch in a simulated game Sunday. He had offseason left elbow bone spur surgery.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.