Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
USC fires baseball coach for NCAA violations
Wednesday - 2/13/2013, 9:10pm EST
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Southern California has fired baseball coach Frank Cruz for violating NCAA rules regarding limits on practice time and organized team activities.
Trojans athletic director Pat Haden announced Wednesday that Cruz has been dismissed and that the school has self-imposed a reduction in the number of practice hours for the baseball team this season and next.
"Adhering to all NCAA rules is paramount for each one of our coaches, student-athletes and staff members," Haden said. "Those who knowingly break NCAA rules are subject to termination."
USC has alerted the NCAA and Pac-12 of the infraction and the university-imposed actions.
Cruz was 48-63 in two seasons with the Trojans.
Associate head coach Dan Hubbs, a former Trojans pitcher in his second season as a coach with USC, has been promoted to head coach.
"I'm confident that Dan Hubbs and his staff will lead our team to a successful season," Haden said. "Dan is a good coach, he is highly-regarded in the baseball community and he has strong Trojan roots."
Last Thursday), USC announced it had suspended Cruz from all coaching duties pending an investigation by Vice President for Athletic Compliance Dave Roberts and his staff to determine whether the baseball program exceeded the allowed Countable Athletically-Related Activities hours.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.