Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
Another man alleges abuse by ex-Red Sox employee
Tuesday - 10/2/2012, 3:26pm EDT
BOSTON (AP) - Another man came forward Tuesday to accuse a now-dead Boston Red Sox clubhouse manager of sexually abusing him.
Former Kansas City Athletics and Royals clubhouse attendant Gerald Armstrong, 57, says Donald Fitzpatrick molested him in the late 1960s, beginning when Armstrong was 12, his attorney Mitchell Garabedian said.
The attorney said Fitzpatrick abused Armstrong more than 20 times combined when the Red Sox traveled to play in Kansas City in 1967 and 1969. The Associated Press doesn't normally release the names of alleged abuse victims, but Armstrong has allowed his name to be published.
Garabedian is seeking $100 million from the Red Sox, $5 million for each of his 20 clients who claim Fitzpatrick abused them. Garabedian said he's also investigating the abuse claims of another alleged victim of Fitzpatrick.
The Red Sox have previously settled a lawsuit by seven Florida men who claimed Fitzpatrick abused them.
Garabedian said the Red Sox have an obligation to settle with his clients, though the alleged abuse occurred under previous ownership and the statute of limitations has expired in most cases.
"The Boston Red Sox have made millions of dollars with regard to children and the sport of baseball," he said. "They have a moral obligation to take care of the children who were sexually molested while working for the Boston Red Sox."
A team lawyer has called the allegations "abhorrent" and said the club is weighing the claims.
Fitzpatrick worked for the Red Sox between 1964 and 1991, when he resigned after the first allegation. He died in 2005 at age 76, while serving a 10-year suspended sentence following a 2002 guilty plea to four counts of attempted sexual battery against boys younger than 12.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)