Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Vollman follows career of patient care and leadership
Friday - 5/17/2013, 7:06am EDT
Dr. David Vollman, staff ophthalmologist, Veterans Health Administration, St. Louis, Mo.
Vollman answered the following questions about himself and his career in the federal government.
What three words best describe your leadership philosophy?
Cooperative, Engaging, Motivational
What's the best piece of advice (or words of wisdom) you've ever received and
gave it to you?
My father told me to find a career I enjoyed since I would be doing it for 40 years of my life.
Who is your biggest role model and why?
It is hard to pick one but ophthalmologists like George Bartley, former CEO Mayo Clinic, Fla.; David Parke, executive vice president and CEO, American Academy of Ophthalmology; and Mary Lawrence, interim director of the VA/DoD Vision Center of Excellence serve as excellent role models because they show that physicians can balance a career of excellent patient care with serving in leadership roles affecting patients in system wide healthcare delivery.
What's the last thing you read and what's next on your reading list?
Recent: "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin, Next: "Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power" by Jon Meacham
What's your favorite bureaucratic phrase?
Cutting through the red tape
The Call to Service Award is just one of the Samuel J. Heyman Service to America Medals (Sammies) presented annually by the Partnership for Public Service. View a gallery of all the Sammies nominees here.