Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
2012 Causey Awards Winner - Mary Santiago
Monday - 7/16/2012, 5:02am EDT
Veteran Employment Services Office, VA
FROM HER NOMINATION:
Mary Santiago, through her innate leadership abilities, dedication, and ability to foster collaboration across stakeholders, has spent the last year leveraging her passion and unwavering commitment to supporting veterans to implement VA for Vets.
VA for Vets is transforming the way VA recruits, hires, retains and reintegrates veterans and military service members. As early as this summer, the federal government is set to fully adopt the VA for Vets platform as a full-lifecycle solution for veteran employment.
Santiago's accomplishments over the course of last year have been beyond extraordinary. As an Army veteran, her passion for supporting fellow veterans is the catalyst that is transforming veteran employment not only within VA, but across the rest of the government.
IN HER OWN WORDS:
Mary Santiago tells Federal News Radio how to translate military skills to "civilian speak."
Want to hear more from Mary Santiago? Listen to our full radio interview with the Causey Award winner in the "Listen" box above.
GET TO KNOW THE AWARD WINNER:
- My job title is Director, Veterans Employment Services Office. My job title should be Chief Veteran Advocate.
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? "Go with your gut."
- What is the worst piece of advice you have ever received? "Don't stand out."
- Who has been your biggest role model, and why? My parents - their sense of humor, their intelligence and their ability to make eight kids believe there is absolutely nothing we could not do.
- If I could do it over again, I would pick my battles and not fight them all.
- If I could have one super power it would be appear and disappear at will.
- In my opinion, life is too short.
- If you didn't work for the federal government, what would be your dream job? Decorator.
- What is the last book you read? "The Help."
- I'd rather be in Tuscany drinking wine and eating pasta.
Federal News Radio awarded six individuals with a 2012 Causey Award. Read more about each of the recipients.