Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
VA employees pitch ways to help veterans find work
Monday - 8/15/2011, 6:50pm EDT
Federal News Radio
The Department of Veterans Affairs has named a dozen employees as finalists in a contest to come up with ways to improve the agency's VetSuccess job program.
The top ideas came from VA workers across the country. They ranged from improving services for troops returning with brain injuries or mental illnesses to providing debit cards so veterans can buy books and supplies.
Employees submitted more than 700 ideas to improve the VetSuccess program, which offers services including career counseling, education, training, financial assistance and health care to returning veterans. Colleagues in the regional offices voted for their favorites, which a review panel then whittled down to the list of 12.
Now a board headed by Deputy Secretary of Veterans Affairs Scott Gould and made up of the under secretaries for benefits and health, and the chief information and technology officers, will choose the ideas that VA will eventually implement.
VA asked employees to focus their ideas on ways to increase the number of veterans who find jobs, streamline administrative work, reduce application processing time and make it easier for veterans to get services and training.
(Copyright 2011 by Federal News Radio. All Rights Reserved.)