Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
DoD, USDA partner to help military families
Thursday - 5/5/2011, 11:38am EDT
The new Military Extension Partnership is part of the larger "Joining Forces" initiative launched by First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden.
"USDA and DoD have worked together for more than 25 years to serve the needs of military families. This latest expansion will give the established civilian network of extension offices a greater ability to help our service members and their loved ones," said Catherine Woteki, USDA chief scientist and Under Secretary for Research, Education and Economics, in a press release. "Our extension system is woven into the fabric of communities across the country where our military families live in order to make this partnership with DoD an efficient and effective proposition for everyone involved."
According to the USDA, the partnership is aimed at accomplishing three main goals:
- Increasing and strengthening community capacity in support of military families,
- Increasing professional and workforce development opportunities for those working with military families, and
- Expanding and strengthening family, childcare and youth development programs.
Brent Elrod, the national program leader of military and veterans programs at USDA, talked to Federal News Radio about some of the programs that will be offered through the initiative.
This story is part of Federal News Radio's daily DoD Report. For more defense news, click here.