Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
DoD, USDA partner to help military families
Thursday - 5/5/2011, 11:38am EDT
The new Military Extension Partnership is part of the larger "Joining Forces" initiative launched by First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden.
"USDA and DoD have worked together for more than 25 years to serve the needs of military families. This latest expansion will give the established civilian network of extension offices a greater ability to help our service members and their loved ones," said Catherine Woteki, USDA chief scientist and Under Secretary for Research, Education and Economics, in a press release. "Our extension system is woven into the fabric of communities across the country where our military families live in order to make this partnership with DoD an efficient and effective proposition for everyone involved."
According to the USDA, the partnership is aimed at accomplishing three main goals:
- Increasing and strengthening community capacity in support of military families,
- Increasing professional and workforce development opportunities for those working with military families, and
- Expanding and strengthening family, childcare and youth development programs.
Brent Elrod, the national program leader of military and veterans programs at USDA, talked to Federal News Radio about some of the programs that will be offered through the initiative.
This story is part of Federal News Radio's daily DoD Report. For more defense news, click here.