Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
Sammies finalist uses new media to foster collaboration at State
Tuesday - 7/17/2012, 3:39pm EDT
Richard Boly, the director of the State Department's Office of eDiplomacy, helped design the system. His efforts have garnered a nomination for a Service to America Medal.
Federal News Radio asked the Sammies finalists to tell us a bit about themselves.
What three words best describe your leadership philosophy?
Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose (for my team).
What's the best piece of advice (or words of wisdom) you've ever received and who gave it to you?
"There is no limit to what you can achieve, when you give others credit," - first given by Ambassador Charlie Ries, later by George Shultz.
What's the biggest challenge you've had to overcome (personally or professionally) and how did you overcome it?
I got fired from what I thought would be my dream job in Silicon Valley a few years after graduating from college. The job wasn't what I thought it would be and frankly, I wasn't who I dreamed myself to be. That shock has lead to lifelong honesty about my relative strengths and weaknesses and searching for opportunities where I can best contribute.
What's the last thing you read and what's next on your reading list?
Last: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami Next: Swamplandia! by Karen Russell Favorite work-related book (one in my "desert island collection"): Orbiting the Giant Hairball: A Corporate Fool's Guide to Surviving With Grace by Gordon MacKenzie
What's your favorite bureaucratic phrase?
Moving from "Why we can't" to "How we can."