Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Stay safe when traveling abroad
Tuesday - 5/10/2011, 12:38pm EDT
If you're planning a trip abroad, you should either call the State Department's travel advisory service or visit its website.
The department can tell you what Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts are issued for various destinations. Travel Warnings are issued when long-term, protracted conditions make a country dangerous or unstable. Travel Alerts are issued to disseminate information about short-term conditions that pose significant risks to the security of U.S. citizens.
The website tells you about passport and visa requirements and provides up-to-the-minute information on safety issues, including terrorist activity. It also makes recommendations about whether you should take valuables with you and warns about driving in rural areas in some countries.
The department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program will make it easier to contact you in case of an emergency, as well as facilitate replacement of a lost or stolen passport.
You can reach the State Department by calling (888) 407-4747 or going to this website. Check out the information before you check your luggage.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)