Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Smithsonian limits gallery closures to 3 museums
Tuesday - 4/30/2013, 4:30am EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Smithsonian Institution is limiting the number of galleries it will close due to budget cuts mandated by Congress.
Smithsonian officials plan to close sections of three buildings between May 1 and Sept. 30. The museum complex must reduce its budget by $42 million as part of Congress' across-the-board budget cuts.
Spokeswoman Linda St. Thomas says the Smithsonian will close a small exhibit space in the National Museum of African Art, some sections of the Hirshhorn Museum displaying parts of its permanent collection and the Commons area of the Smithsonian Castle. That area shows objects from every Smithsonian museum.
No major exhibitions will close.
Smithsonian Secretary Wayne Clough (CLUFF) told Congress this month that the budget cuts forced a reduction in the Smithsonian's security contract, resulting in some gallery closures.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.