Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Smithsonian limits gallery closures to 3 museums
Tuesday - 4/30/2013, 4:30am EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Smithsonian Institution is limiting the number of galleries it will close due to budget cuts mandated by Congress.
Smithsonian officials plan to close sections of three buildings between May 1 and Sept. 30. The museum complex must reduce its budget by $42 million as part of Congress' across-the-board budget cuts.
Spokeswoman Linda St. Thomas says the Smithsonian will close a small exhibit space in the National Museum of African Art, some sections of the Hirshhorn Museum displaying parts of its permanent collection and the Commons area of the Smithsonian Castle. That area shows objects from every Smithsonian museum.
No major exhibitions will close.
Smithsonian Secretary Wayne Clough (CLUFF) told Congress this month that the budget cuts forced a reduction in the Smithsonian's security contract, resulting in some gallery closures.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.