Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
DorobekInsider.com: Hear the March Federal News Radio’s Book Club - What Would Google Do?
Thursday - 4/9/2009, 2:32pm EDT
A few weeks ago, the Federal News Radio Book Club featured Jeff Jarvis’ What Would Google Do?
But times are also changing for government. This change is a bit scary. People often talk about how the change is really a mind-set, and Jarvis’ What Would Google Do? does a great job at providing a guide to this new thinking. (BusinessWeek magazine earlier this year ran excerpts of the book. I have links to the BusinessWeek pieces from here.
You can hear Federal News Radio Book Club discussion about What Would Google Do? here … we have the entire hour online.
I should also note that I wrote about What Would Google Do? in Signal magazine in my April column.
What Would Google Do? has many principles that speak to the challenges facing government agencies. The book taps into the idea that information is power, but that the real power of information comes in the sharing. Among the principles the book outlines are: give up control; get out of the way; and make mistakes well.
Along with the book Wikinomics by Don Tapscott and Anthony Williams, I think What Would Google Do? is one of the seminal books on the subject of how to view information… and how to survive in the new information focused world… a guidebook for how to think about information management — and information sharing.
And a quick preview: The Federal News Radio Book Club book for April is Tapscott’s Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World HC… Friday, April 17 at 2p on Federal News Radio 1500 AM’s In Depth with Francis Rose. More details on that soon.